From the Archives

carnegie library

carnegie library

In 1900, the Carlisle Clover Club, a literary and social club for young women, appointed a committee to establish a library in New Carlise. Fundraisers were held to acquire new books, and other books were donated. The library opened on February 21, 1902. Members of the club served as librarians. In 1917, the New Carlisle Chamber of Commerce formed a library committee. Arthur Hubbard donated his property on Michigan Street, a grant was received from the Carnegie Corporation in the amount of $9,000, and the New Carlisle and Olive Townshp Public Library was dedicated in June 1921.